Female portrait placeholder image

Name: Violet Cook

Burial Number: 0368

Gender: Female

Born: 3/03/1901

Died: 18/09/1901

Buried: 18/09/1901

WARNING - This record has been marked as potentially upsetting

The information published on this website will include research obtained from the public domain. It may sometimes include things you might find upsetting, e.g. details of their death or any misdemeanours that might have happened in their life. We feel it is important however to tell their full story


Violet was born in 1901 to Walter and Fanny Cook. At the time Walter and Fanny were living at the back of Park crescent. Walter was working as a painter.
Walter and Fanny didn’t live a happy life, money was tight and they had 14 children in total between 1882 and 1905, 7 of which died before 1911.
In March 1893, Walter was charged for non attendance at school of his two daughters. Then in September 1895 he was charged again and fined 2s 6d.
Then tragically in June 1895 aged 2 1/2, their Son Frank Ernest was accidently scalded. Fanny had put a saucepan of peas on the fire and had turned her back for a moment when the saucepan fell on the child. He was attended for three weeks by Doctors but finally admitted to the Infirmary and died due to blood poisoning.
In 1896 Walter and Fanny were living at 33 Orme Road, Worthing. The property at the time was owned by a Mr Downer, however Mr Downer sold the property to Mr C Payne, but Walter Cook never paid any rent and had actually got into the premises as a squatter. Mr Payne took Walter Cook to court to get him out of the property but because Walter was a squatter there was nothing the judge could do. The judge suggested Mr Payne get Walter out the best way he could!
Fanny took a summons out against her Husband, due to his conduct that she felt compelled to leave him. However in June 1896 she went back to court and withdrew the summons. This was all around the same time that they were squatting in Orme Road.
In September 1898 Walter and fanny were charged for cruelty to their children all under the age of 16 years.
Violet was born in March 1901 and unfortunately died aged just 6 months old.
In April 1901 Walter was in court again for non attendance of one of his children at school. He was given a caution
By 1911 Walter and Fanny and 3 of their children are sharing a house with Frederick Head a Blacksmith, at 35 Portland Road Worthing. There were only a total of 5 rooms to the house

Walter died in 1921 and Fanny died in 1916

Researcher: Jackie Rooney

The Grave

No headstone image available

Location in Cemetery

Area: Unknown Row: Unknown Plot: Unknown

Exact Location (what3words): rate.pest.select

Ashes or Urn: Unknown



None Found


None Found

Further Information


Name: Violet Cook

Gender: Female

Born: 3/03/1901

Town: Worthing

County: Sussex

Country: England


Maiden Name: Not applicable

No marriage information is available for this burial record.

Information at Death

Date of Death: 18/09/1901

Cause of death: Unknown

Address line 3: Back of Park Crescent

Town: Worthing

County: Sussex

Country: England


No obituary has been entered.

Personal Effects

Money left to others: No value recorded

Current value of effects: Not calculated

Census Information


Back of Park crescent

Walter cook (Head) age 43, Fanny Cook (Wife) age 42, Minnie cook (Daughter) age 15, Walter Cook (Son) age 13, Frederick Cook (Son) age 12, Mabel Cook (Daughter) age 4, Ethel cook (Daughter) age 2, Kate Cook (Daughter) age 1 month, Elizabeth Daughtry (Sister in Law)age 24, plus 2 boarders



35 Portland Road Worthing Sussex
Walter Cook (Lodger) age 52, Fanny Cook (Wife/Lodger) age 51, Mabel (Daughter/lodger) age 15, Ethel (Daughter/lodger) age 12, John cook (Son/lodger) age 6

Miscellaneous Information

Worthing Gazette 22nd June 1892 – School Attendance Cases

Walter Cook (represented by his wife) was summoned for non-compliance with the Bye-laws in respect of his two children – Mr W Verrall, the Town Clerk, prosecuted; and, after hearing the statements on either side, the Bench adjourned the case for a fortnight.

Worthing Gazette 8th March 1893 – School Attendance Case

Walter Cook was charged with a breach of the Education Bye-laws – he stated that his little girl, though sent to school, sometimes “slipped away”, and sometimes she was kept at home on account of illness – the Attendance Officer (Mr Fibbens) said the child had never been reported sick at the school – the case was adjourned for a fortnight.

Worthing Gazette 24th July 1895 – A Saucepan of Water Falls on a Baby

Inquest at the Infirmary This Morning – Mr A W Rawlinson, Coroner for West Sussex, held an inquiry in the Board Room of the Infirmary this morning on the body of Frank Ernest Cook, who died in the institution on Monday, from the effects of scalds. Mr A A Fraser was chosen Foreman of the Jury.

Fanny Cook, wife of Walter John Cook, a journeyman baker, living at 17 Orme Road, deposed that the deceased, who was their child, was just turned two and a half years old. A month ago last Sunday he was in the kitchen, lying in front of the fire, on which stood a saucepan, in which some peas were boiling. Witness stood at the table with her back to the deceased, when her little daughter called out “Mother! the saucepan’s on little Ernie” Witness turned round and saw that the deceased was lying on his stomach, with the saucepan across his neck and the boiling water all down his back. Taking his clothes of as quickly as possible, witness poured some linseed oil over him and sent for Mr Lees and Mr Orie attended him for three weeks, and then by the advice of Mrs Cowper, a lady living at Heene, he was admitted to the Infirmary yesterday week.

Alice Amelia Cook, a girl of fourteen, said a piece of wood which had been stuck in the fire “knocked up” and turned the saucepan right over. The saucepan fell upon her little brother, the water going over him. When witness saw him in the Infirmary on Sunday, the nurse said she thought he was a little better.

By a Juror: Witness was close to the table and did not touch the saucepan.

The Coroner remarked that the witness had given her statement very well indeed.

Mr E A Orie said he saw the child three days after the accident, and found him suffering from a severe scald extending over the whole of the upper part of the back, above the waist, and covering the right side and going slightly over the right side of the chest. Witness and Mr Lees continued to attend the child, which for so severe a burn, progressed fairly well. Witness last saw it on the 11th July and Mr Lees on the 14th, and when witness again called on the 18th, he found the child had been taken to the Infirmary. He thought when he last saw it that it would recover; though the appearance led witness to believe that blood poisoning would set in. The deceased had every attention the District Nurse having been in attendance to dress the wound for about a fortnight before the removal to the infirmary. Witness did not see the child after the removal, but from the temperature chart now produced he drew the conclusion that death resulted from blood poisoning.

By the Jury: he was not consulted as to the removal, thought he would not have objected to it. He thought there was no danger in the removal if proper care was exercised.

The Coroner said that Mr Simpson, who attended the child in the Infirmary, was away from Worthing, but he thought the evidence obtainable would be sufficient to enable the Jury to arrive at a verdict.

Miss Ellen Burford, Matron to the Infirmary, said the child seemed to get better for the first two days, but afterwards gradually got worse. The doctor told her he thought the child had blood poisoning, and witness thought it also had pneumonia. Death took place at four minutes to eight on Monday morning.

The Jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

Worthing Gazette 18th Sept 1895 – School Cases

Twelve cases initiated by the School Attendance Committee of the Town Council were dealt with, with the following result: ….Walter Cook fine 2s6d;…..

Worthing Gazette 24th June 1896 – Husband and Wife

The adjourned summons against Walter Cook, which had been taken out by his wife under the new Matrimonial Act, and in which she complained that in consequence of his conduct she had been compelled to separate from him, came forward and both husband and wife put in an appearance. – in answer to the Clerk, Mrs Cook said she wished to withdraw the summons – The Bench allowed the summons to be withdrawn, and Colonel Wisden advised the parties to go home and live happily together.

Worthing Gazette 16 Dec 1896 – Squatter in Possession

C Payne v Walter Cook – was a small tenement case, the plaintiff having summoned the defendant for the possession of 33 Orme Road. In the course or the hearing Mr G Naldrett (the plaintiffs agent) explained, with reference to a statement made by the defendant, that he was a lodger with one Downer, a former tenant, and that being unable to get the man out when served with a notice to quit, this tenant had given up possession, leaving defendant in. – His Honour thereupon remarked that he was very sorry for the trouble that plaintiff had had, but he was afraid he could not do anything for him, and, turning to the defendant, he told him he had got the better of his landlord. (laughter) – Mr Naldrett: might I explain he never paid any rent because – His Honour: that is the reason why I cannot turn him out (renewed laughter). Continuing, his Honour remarked that there was a way of getting the defendant out, but he did not see his way to do it under the small tenement clauses. Defendant had never acknowledged Mr Payne as his landlord; in fact, he was a squatter, who had got into the premises where he had no business to be – (laughter) – and plaintiff must get him out the best way he could – Mr Naldrett: Can you give me any advice? – His Honour: No, I cannot advise you; but there are ways of getting him out.

Worthing Gazette 30th December 1896 – Curious Collapse of a Case

Walter Cook was summoned for assaulting Richard Virrella – Complainant, whose left eye was very badly bruised, said he was in Orme Road about half-past nine on Boxing Night – The Chairman (laterposing), said he would like to ask complainant if he thought he was capable of telling the Bench what the time was? (laughter) – Virrella said he thought he was – The Chairman said he would like to tell him one thing, and he thought he had better not charge this man with anything, because at seven o’clock in the evening, when he (the Chairman) was coming out of the Club, he saw Virella, who was drunk, and was annoying everybody who came out. Both he and other members of the Club were looking for a constable, and if they could have found one complainant would have been given in charge. So that he would not believe a word he might say now – Virrella: You sure its me, Sir? – the Chairman: Yes; because of your wooden leg – Virrella: Isn’t there anybody else in the town with a wooden leg, then? – The Chairman declined to discuss the question further. Virrella: If you say it’s no use then I’d better leave it – the Chairman said the case would be dismissed, adding that Virrella ought to be in the same place that defendant was now occupying – Cook: that’s where he ought to be sir – The Chairman: Never mind – Cook: That’s where he ought to be.

A Squatter 

Walter Cook, the defendant in the preceding case, was then summoned to show cause why he should not give up possession of 33 Orme Road – the statement of George Naldrett, agent for the owner, Mr Charles Payne, showed that the original tenant, a man named Downer, left the place on the 28th September, in consequence of overcrowding; his lodger, Cook, remaining on the premises. Cook had paid no rent, and had never been recognised as Payne’s tenant, and an unsuccessful attempt had been made in the County Court to eject him – The Bench made and order directing defendant to give up possession in three weeks – Cook: Thank you, sir; that’s another nice little three weeks – The Clerk: Yes, its three weeks more rent free (laughter)

The Sussex Express 24 Sept 1898

Worthing Petty Sessions – Charges against Walter and Fanny Cook for cruelty to their children, all under the age of 16, were adjourned for a week, owing to the absence of a material witness.

Worthing Gazette 3rd April 1901

A Caution – Walter Cook was summoned for not sending his child regularly to school, and the case was dismissed with a caution.

Worthing Gazette 30 Oct 1907

A Missing Shilling – After considerable evidence had been heard a remand was granted in the case of Sophia Williams, against whom there was a charge of stealing a shilling, the money of Mrs Fanny Cook.

Mrs Cook, who lodges with Mrs Pate at 74 Portland Road, and is the wife of Walter Cook, said that her husband brought her 1s.2d in on Saturday night, and laid it on the table. She went to the door to speak with her son, and as she came back into the room she met the defendant, who had been at the house since the afternoon, going out with a jug, and she missed the shilling off the table. She accused the defendant of taking it, but Offered to Forgive Her if she would give up the change. The defendant denied it, and said: “You can’t swear to money; you can have me locked up!” Her husband had been out of work for nearly two months, and the 1s.2d was all the money she had.

Mrs Eliza Pate stated that the defendant came to her house in the afternoon. She said that she had no money. After Mr Cook put the money on the table Mrs Williams asked: “Who’s money is this?” and, pushing the twopence up with her hand, she drew the shilling towards her and put it in her pocket. She was the worse for drink when she came to her.

Defendant said that the shilling was her own. She had it in a purse in her pocket, with a bill which she was going to pay.