Male portrait placeholder image

Name: James Bristow

Burial Number: 0737

Gender: Male

Occupation: Mill owner

Born: 00/00/1826

Died: 09/03/1914

Buried: 13/03/1914

Story

James was born in 1826 in Isfield to James and Ann Bristow.  Not much is known of his early life but he married Mary Anne Wontner Edenborough on 16th July 1862 in Surrey.

They had 4 children-

James Frank born 1863 Carshalton died 1900 Ewell Surrey

Frank born 1866 Carshalton

Beatrice May born 1869 died 1870 Carshalton Surrey

Fanny Elizabeth Born 1875 Carshalton Surrey died 1932 Sussex

In 1871 James and his family are living at North Street Carshalton Surrey.  James is working at Carshalton mill Surrey for Robert Linton Charrington. Then in 1881 James and his family are still living in North Street, Carshalton, Surrey, but James has obtained a 21 year lease on the Carshalton Mill, at an annual rate of £330. James had difficulty in working the mill for profit, as five years later on 22nd February 1886 he entered into an agreement with his landlords whereby he occupied the mill for a further two months for the rent of £27.10s.

 

On the 1891 census it shows that James Bristow had moved to 113 Merton Road Wimbledon Surrey. James took over the Merton mill in Wimbledon in 1887, in the directories it shows that the mill is being run by ‘James Bristow and Son’ (which was possibly James Frederick, who was himself a miller.

James retired in 1896 and moved to 5 Heene villas, Worthing.

The 1901 census it shows that James is living on his own means, so he must have turned his business into profit.

By 1911 James, Mary Anne and his Daughter Fanny had moved to Windlands Ham Road Worthing

James died on 9th March 1914 in Worthing and his Wife Mary Anne died on 4th March 1917 in Worthing

Researcher: Jackie Rooney

The Grave

Photograph of headstone for James Bristow

Location in Cemetery

Area: NES Row: 5 Plot: 4

Exact Location (what3words): wires.slips.swing

Ashes or Urn: Unknown

Headstone

Description:

No description of the headstone has been added.

Inscription:

In loving memory of James Bristow who was called from us March 9th 1914 aged 88 years "Peace perfect peace" and of Mary Anne Wontner his wife who was re-united with him 4th March 1917 aged 78 years "Then are they glad because the are at rest"

Further Information

Birth

Name: James Bristow

Gender: Male

Born: 00/00/1826

Town: Unknown

County: Sussex

Country: England

Marriage

Maiden Name: Not applicable

Marriage Date: 16/7/1862

Spouse First Name: Mary

Spouse Second Name: Ann

Spouse Last Name: Edenborough

Town of Marriage: Christchurch

County of Marriage: Surrey

Country of Marriage: England

Information at Death

Date of Death: 09/03/1914

Cause of death: Unknown

Address line 1: Ham Road

Town: Worthing

County: Sussex

Country: England

Obituary

No obituary has been entered.

Personal Effects

Money left to others: £2073 6 s 10 d

Current value of effects: £122000

Census Information

1871

6 North Street Carshalton Surrey

James Bristow (Head) age 45, Marianna (Mary Ann) (Wife) age 32, James Frederick Bristow (Son) age 7, Frank Bristow (Son) age 5, plus 2 servants

1881

North Street Carshalton surrey

James Bristow (Head) age 55, Mary Anne (Wife) age 42,  Frederick F (Son) age 17, Frank (Son) age 15

1891

113 Merton Road Wimbledon

James Bristow (Head) age 65, Marianna (Mary Anne) (Wife) age 52, plus 1 servant

1901

1901 census 5 Heene Villas Worthing Sussex

James Bristow (Head) age 75, Marianna (Mary Ann) (Wife) age 62, Fanny E (Daughter) age 25

1911

Windlands Ham Road Worthing Sussex

James Bristow (Head) age 85, Mary Anne (Wife) age 72, Fanny Elizabeth (Daughter) age 35, plus 1 servant

Miscellaneous Information

Brief notes regarding Merton Mill

Map of Merton Mills

Merton Mill, Wimbledon, Surrey (run by James Bristow)

Merton Mill produced corn and was situated on the River Wandle about 400 yards north of Merton Bridge, where the present Byegrove Road crosses the River, and where the last mill building on the site still stands, now converted to housing accommodation.

The original mill on the site may have been one of two mills recorded in the Domesday book of 1086. Hugh Lingard occupied the property from the early 1550s. The ownership of the mill passed hands many times. James Bristow (buried in the cemetery) took over as proprietor of the corn mill from 1887 until 1890. The mill was taken over by one of his sons, who retained the name and worked there until approx. 1918.

The Upper Mill c1868

The passing of the Upper Mill from Robert Linton Charrington to James Bristow in 1881.