Female portrait placeholder image

Name: Gertrude Tucker

Burial Number: 1244

Gender: Female

Occupation: Teacher of Deaf Children

Born: 00/00/1873

Died: 14/05/1926

Buried: 18/05/1926

Story

Gertrude Muriel Tucker was born in Camden Town, London, in 1873. Her parents were Robert Tucker, 40yrs, Mathematician and Teacher, and Elizabeth, 29yrs, nee Byles. She had 3 older siblings, Maud Elaine, 6yrs, Edith Marion, 3yrs, and Ernest Charles, 2yrs.

Gertrude became a teacher of deaf children and in 1901, aged 28yrs, she was employed by the Royal Deaf and Dumb Institute in Manchester. While she was there, her parents and sister, Maud, moved from London to Worthing, living at Middleton, Rowlands Road, where her father died in 1905. Gertrude remained unmarried and later in her life she too joined her mother and sister.

Gertrude died at 122, Heene Road, Worthing, aged 53yrs, on 14th May 1926. Administration was granted to Maud Elaine Tucker, spinster, effects £1416 9s 4d. Value 2021 – £87K.

Researcher: Unknown

The Grave

No headstone image available

Location in Cemetery

Area: SWS Row: 5 Plot: 14

Exact Location (what3words): leave.nods.share

Ashes or Urn: Unknown

Headstone

Description:

No description of the headstone has been added.

Inscription:

In loving memory of Robert Tucker who died January 29th 1905 aged 72 years "He that believeth in me hath everlasting life" John Vl. 47. Also Gertrude Muriel daughter of the above who died May 14th 1926 Also Elizabeth his wife who died Dec 11th 1926 "In sure and certain hope

Further Information

Birth

Name: Gertrude Muriel Tucker

Gender: Female

Born: 00/00/1873

Town: Camden

County: London

Country: England

Marriage

Maiden Name: Not applicable

No marriage information is available for this burial record.

Information at Death

Date of Death: 14/05/1926

Cause of death: Unknown

Address line 2: 122

Address line 3: Heene Road

Town: Worthing

County: Sussex

Country: England

Obituary

No obituary has been entered.

Personal Effects

Money left to others: £1416 9 s 4 d

Current value of effects: £87000

Census Information

1881

Living at 27, Cantelowes Road, St. Pancras, London. Robert Tucker, 48yrs, Teacher, wife, Elizabeth, 38yrs, 3 children, Maud E. 14, Edith M. 11, Gertrude M. 8, plus 1 domestic servant.

1891

Living at 24, Hillmaster Road, Islington, London. Robert Tucker, 58yrs, Mathematics Tutor, wife, Elizabeth, 47yrs, 3 children, Maud E. 24, Edith M. 20, Gertrude M. 18, Jane Byles, 77, widow, living on own means, visitor, Ethel S. Plumley, 20, plus 1 domestic servant.

1901

Royal Deaf and Dumb Institute, Chester Road, Old Trafford, Lancs. Gertrude M. Tucker, 28yrs. Teacher.

1911

Living at Middleton, Heene Road, Worthing, Sussex. Elizabeth Tucker, widow, 67yrs, Private Means, Maud Elaine Tucker, 44yrs, Gertrude Muriel Tucker, 38yrs, Teacher of the deaf, plus 1 domestic servant.

1921

Living at 122, Heene Road, Worthing, Sussex.

Elizabeth Tucker
Head
Female 1844 77 Newport, Isle of Wight
Maud E Tucker
Daughter
Female 1867 54 Kentish Town, London Home Duties
Gertrude M Tucker
Daughter
Female 1873 48 Camden Town, London Teacher Of The Deaf

Miscellaneous Information

Manchester Institute for the Deaf and Dumb

Manchester Institution for the Deaf and Dumb was founded in 1823. The first school was opened in Stanley Street, Salford on 28th February 1825 with an initial intake of fourteen children. Children were admitted between the ages of eight and thirteen, but often stayed until they were sixteen. It was soon apparent that more space was needed, and new premises were found in Old Trafford on a site shared with Henshaw’s Blind Asylum. Within two years the funds had been raised to build a new school which opened on 21st June 1837. A number of branch schools opened in the later nineteenth century. The original building remained the high school, a general branch was opened at Bolton and a branch for infants at Clyne House, Stretford. In Old Trafford there were two branches, the Sir James E. Jones Branch for Industrial Training and the Henry Worrall Branch for Elder Deaf Girls. In 1897 Queen Victoria conferred the title of Royal upon the Schools and the Institution became known as the Royal Residential Schools for the Deaf, Manchester. The Royal Schools remained at Old Trafford until the outbreak of the Second World War.