Name: George Hewer
Burial Number: 0520
Occupation: Builder; Employer;
Distinction: Renowned local builder
George Hewer was born on 22nd October 1842, he was baptised on December 10th, 1845 along with his younger brother, Ezekiel, at Yeovil, St. John. His father was David Hewer, 31yrs, Cabinet Maker, and his mother, Huldah, nee Short, 31yrs, by 1851 they had 12 children.
In 1862 George married Eleanor Rowe in Portsea Island. They had 2 daughters, Frances Emily, and Mary Sophia, Eleanor died, aged 26yrs, in 1868.
In 1870, on 6th September, George Hewer, 28yrs, married Eliza Ann Abraham, 26yrs, at Alverstoke, Hampshire. George was a carpenter & joiner. By 1881 they had moved from Gosport to Worthing and had a son, George Henry, in 1880, and a daughter, Pauline, in 1889. George had become a successful and respected builder in Worthing and began the gentrification of West Worthing by building high quality villas in the area between Eriswell Road, where he lived, and Heene Road, which had no residential houses on the land at that time. By 1891 the family were living at a property named Netley which George had built along with several other villas in Rowlands Road. George was also in partnership with Thomas Reeves running an ironmongery business in Montague Street, they dissolved their partnership in 1903 by mutual consent and the business then traded as Hewer & Son. George was a member of Worthing’s first town council, serving as a councillor for ten years for West Ward.
George Hewer died, aged 64yrs, on 10th January 1907. Probate was granted to Eliza Ann Hewer, widow, George Henry Hewer, Builder, George Waldren Bruford, wine merchant’s manager, and Robert William Charles, solicitor. Effects £31722 16s 2d. Value 2021 – £3.8m.
Researcher: Maggi Martin
Location in Cemetery
Area: SWS Row: 5 Plot: 23
Exact Location (what3words): sorters.land.coast
Ashes or Urn: Unknown
The Celtic cross remains a beautiful symbol of Irish heritage. It’s pagan and Christian associations represent the long and rich history of the Irish, Welsh and Scottish peoples. It continues to be as popular today as it was 1500 years ago. The symbol in the centre of the cross depicts an Architect/Builder - also universal logo for Freemasonry with ‘G’ or an eye in the middle. The symbol of a roof on the top of the cross appears to be unique.
In loving memory of George Hewer born November 25th 1842. Fell asleep January 10th 1907 “Peace perfect Peace” Also of his dearly loved wife Eliza Ann, died May 20th 1929 aged 85 “At rest”
Name: George Hewer
Maiden Name: Not applicable
Marriage Date: //1862
Spouse First Name: Eleanor
Spouse Last Name: Rowe
Town of Marriage: Portsea
County of Marriage: Hampshire
Country of Marriage: England
Marriage Date: 6/9/1870
Spouse First Name: Eliza
Spouse Second Name: Ann
Spouse Last Name: Abraham
Town of Marriage: Alverstoke
County of Marriage: Hampshire
Country of Marriage: England
Information at Death
Date of Death: 10/01/1907
Cause of death: Unknown
Address line 1: Netley
Address line 3: Rowlands Road
No obituary has been entered.
Money left to others: £31722 16 s 2 d
Current value of effects: £3800000
Living at Huish, Yeovil, Somerset. David Hewer, 40yrs, Cabinet Maker, wife, Huldah, 40yrs, 12 children, Alice 18, Glove Maker, Mary 17, Servant, William 15, Glover’s Assistant, Samuel 14, Cabinet Maker, Arabella 12, Glove Sewer, Eleanor 10, George 9, Ezekiel 6, Martha 4, Alice 2, David and Huldah, under 1 month.
Living at Holly Street, Alverstoke, Hampshire: George 28yrs Carpenter, Eliza Ann 26yrs, Frances Emily 6yrs, Mary Sophia 3yrs
Living at 20 Eriswell Road, Broadwater: George 38yrs Joiner, Eliza A 36yrs, Mary S 13yrs, George H 8mths,
Living at Netley, Rowlands Road, Heene: George 48yrs Builder, Eliza A 46yrs, Frances E 26yrs Assists mother domestic, Mary S 23yrs Dressmaker, George H 10yrs, Pauline 2yrs
Living at Netley, Heene: George 58yrs, Builder Employer, Eliza Ann 56yrs, Mary Sophia 33yrs Housekeeper – Domestic, George Henry 20yrs Builders Clerk, Pauline 12yrs,
The Worthing Gazette – Wednesday November 11th 1896
The New Members of the Town Council
Mr George Hewer, who has been elected as one of the representatives of the West Ward in the place of Mr J.H. Raffety, has been a resident of Worthing seventeen years. He was previously foreman to a large building firm at Gosport, and was connected in that capacity with several important undertakings in various parts of the country. To him West Worthing owes much of its development. It was not, however, in the West Ward Mr. Hewer began to build. His first enterprise was in Eriswell Road, where he erected three houses each of the annual value of £28. His next addition to the dwelling houses of the town was made in Elizabeth Road, the five houses known as Highton Terrace being built by him. He afterwards turned his attention to Victoria Road, where he built four villas. Subsequently the whole of his building operations were confined to West Worthing. his first venture in the locality in which he was destined to play so conspicuous a part was Rutherford Hall, now Holy Trinity Vicarage. At the time he laid the foundations of this commodious house, the whole of the land between Heene Road and Eriswell Road was unoccoupied; that is to say there was no building upon it. Keeping to Byron Road he put up villa after villa until he had filled every available piece of land on either side. There is only one house in Byron Road which Mr Hewer did not build, namely Wimbledon House, the residence of Mrs Lancaster. We need hardly say that Byron Hall, the residence of the present Mayor and the property of Councillor Major C.E. Fraser, owes its existence to the enterprising spirit of Mr Hewer. With Byron Road completed, Mr Hewer proceeded to make his unflagging energy evident in Rowlands Road. Here he built eight villas, including the residence of Mr C.L.M. Teesdale, J.P. In one of these Mr Hewer resides, and here also is the home of his daughter Miss M.S. Hewer, whose poetic contributions to the local press have often afforded interest and pleasure to the townspeople. Mr Hewer next built three cottages and a workshop in Milton Street but returned immediately afterwards to the erection of more important buildings New College, Shakespeare House and the large villas adjoining were his contribution to the residential properties in Shelley Road. In this road, so well did he estimate the value of the position, he did not put up any property of a less annual rental than £85. On the site of some tumble down but picturesque cottages in Heene Lane, Mr Hewer erected four villas, and on completion of these he turned his attention to Richmond Road where four more villas were constructed. Another villa was added in Shakespeare Road, and then the indefatigable builder purchased land at the corner of Boundary Road, on which he is erecting a high class house, probably of a rental value of £200 or more. Mr Hewer has already built just fifty houses in Worthing and West Worthing, the majority of them being handsome villas, well set back from the road, with pleasant lawns, flower gardens and other attractive features. Nearly the whole of these houses were erected from his own designs. the total annual rental of the property is £2700, which gives a rateable value of £2160, yielding a sum of fully £800 to the Imperial and local revenue every year. And of these houses not one is unproductive at the present time – every one is occupied. From this fact it can only be concluded that Mr Hewer has not only built wisely but well. A speculative builder he may be, but he has always used the very best materials, employed none but thoroughly competent workmen, and has never had a complaint made against him by the local authority for contravening the building bye-laws in any respect however unimportant. To Mr Hewer the residents of Heene will be indebted for the disappearance within a short time of that great eyesore known as Clump Square; on one part of the site will be erected some pretty villas, and on the other side the St Botolph’s Church Room, of which Mr Hewer is one of the trustees. At the present time he is engaged in the demolition of the old cottages near Heene Lodge, and in their place will appear a pair of villas built with the same regard to stability and taste which is noticeable in the houses generally erected by Mr Hewer. As one of the pioneers in the development of West Worthing it cannot be said that the new representative of the West Ward is not entitled to the position of honour to which he has been elected; and his achievements surely warrant the belief that the ratepayers will have in him a good and faithful public servant.