Name: Cyrus Elliott
Burial Number: 0004
Cyrus Elliott was baptised on the 10th Dec 1809 at St Mary, Newington, Surrey, son of Cyrus and Mary Elliott.
In 1841 he was listed as a Surgeon in a ”Licensed Madhouse” in Old Brompton. (I have found no evidence for his qualification as Surgeon.)
In 1857 he was resident at Munster House in Fulham. It was a leasehold house and premises for which he paid £150 per year.
From a History of Fulham: Munster Road was first recorded in 1397 when it was a rough path running through farmland known as ‘Fulham Fields’ which stretched from North End Road to the River Thames.
In the 16th century the area was dominated by Munster House. Set in eight acres at the junction with Fulham Road the house became known as ‘Monster House’ due to two hideous stone lions adorning its frontage. It stood for around 400 years and was used variously as a school and a lunatic asylum before being demolished in 1894.
In the 1861 census at London Rd., Munster House, Fulham were
Cyrus A Elliott 50 proprietor of Asylum.
Martha P Leech Matron
Plus Assistants, Attendants and Servants.
Between 1861 and 1867, Dr Elliott moved to Worthing. He is at Elm Villa, Broadwater Street, in an 1867 Worthing Directory. (The Elms, at 66 Broadwater Street East, was built in 1827 next to the former Elm Villa, which itself dated back to the 1800s.)
At some time during the 1860s, Dr Cyrus Elliott built on his land (originally known
as The Quashetts) an arch made of large flints that he had collected from the chalk hills around Worthing. It was originally intended to be a screen to the town beyond, the arch stood collecting ivy until 1967 when its condition became precarious and it was demolished. Today, the road leading to the site of the arch has been re-named Ivy Arch Road, and The Quashetts retained as a footpath between Little High Street and Broadwater Street West. (From the Folly Fellowship)
In 1865, in Brentford, he married Anna Maria Duncan, who was born in Chelsea about 1830.
In 1867 land which Cyrus Elliott owned was taken over for the building of the Gasworks in Worthing :
Cyrus Elliott built a vinery at his home, reputedly using large panes of glass left over from Crystal Palace – the first Worthing ‘glasshouse’ using large panes of glass. (The hefty tax on glass was repealed in 1845)
He made a donation of £105 towards the building of St Botolphs Church, and was one of the Proposers, in 1873, at a meeting to discuss a Church at Heene.
He died in February 1874, at Elm Villa.
“23rd April 1874, Will of Cyrus Alexander Elliott late of Elm Villa, Broadwater in the County of Sussex Esquire proved by Anne Maria Elliott of Elm Villa Widow the Relict,
Researcher: Liz Lane
Location in Cemetery
Area: EB Row: 5 Plot: 31
Exact Location (what3words): buddy.seat.tubes
Ashes or Urn: Unknown
No description of the headstone has been added.
Cyrus Alexander Elliott Esq., Elm Villa, Broadwater died March 7th 1874 aged 64
Name: Cyrus Alexander Elliott
Maiden Name: Not applicable
Marriage Date: //1865
Spouse First Name: Anna
Spouse Second Name: Maria
Spouse Last Name: Duncan
Town of Marriage: Brentford
County of Marriage: London
Country of Marriage: England
Information at Death
Date of Death: 07/03/1874
Cause of death: Unknown
Address line 1: Elm Villa
Address line 3: Broadwater Street
No obituary has been entered.
Money left to others: No value recorded
Value of effects in 2020: Not calculated
Living at Munster House, London Road, Fulham: Cyrus A Elliott 50yrs proprietor of Asylum, Martha P Leech Matron plus Assistants, Attendants and Servants
Living at Elm Villa, Broadwater Street: Cyrus A Elliott 61yrs Asylum Keeper, Anne 35yrs, plus a visitor and servants – Gardener, Coachman, Cook, Housemaid
London Gazette November 26th 1867 “A close or piece of arable land situated in the parish of Broadwater, in the county of Sussex, now belonging or reputed to belong to and in the occupation of Cyrus Alexander Elliott, Esq, bounded on the north and east by land belonging, or reputed to belong to Harriet Newland, Frances Newland, and Emily Rowland, and now in the occupation of Mr Nelson Laker, on the south by land belonging …. the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company, and on the north west by the highway leading from Worthing to Broadwater.”