Male portrait placeholder image

Name: Charles Hopkinson

Burial Number: 0165

Gender: Male

Born: 27/05/1879

Died: 07/06/1890

Buried: 11/06/1890

Story

Charles Myles Hopkinson was born to Charles Caeser and Ada on the 27th May 1879 in Avening Gloucestershire. Charles had 8 siblings (3 Brothers and 5 Sisters)

Charles’ Father was a banker and ran the family banking firm called Hopkinson & Son which was based at 3 Regent Street London and another branch at 74 Eccleston Square. The bank was founded in 1796 (source British banking history Society) and was dissolved 27th June 1898. Charles Myles’ Grandfather (also called Charles) also ran the bank.

Charles Myles was living with his parents in 1881 at Avening Court, Avening, Gloucestershire. Sometime between 1887 and 1890 Charles Myles was sent to St. Ronan’s school in Mill Road in Worthing. (St Ronan’s was founded in 1883 by the Reverend Philip Crick at Selden Terrace, Worthing, it had just 5 boys. By 1887 the school moved to Mill Road and now had 18 boys)

St Ronan s Preparatory School, Mill Road, Worthing.

On 7th June 1890 Charles Myles died at school from Perityphilitis asthenia (inflammation of the appendix), his parents weren’t in attendance. Charles Myles was buried in Heene Cemetery, although the family did have a crypt at the Cheltenham Cemetery, Gloucestershire. Charles Father was buried in the family vault in Cheltenham in 1924 and his Mother Ada was buried there in 1929

Researcher: Jackie Rooney

The Grave

No headstone image available

Location in Cemetery

Area: EB Row: 1 Plot: 32

Exact Location (what3words): stroke.branded.claims

Ashes or Urn: Unknown

Headstone

Description:

No description of the headstone has been added.

Inscription:

Charles Myles Caesar Hopkinson born at Avening Glostershire 27th May 1879. died at St Ronan's Worthing 7th June 1890

Further Information

Birth

Name: Charles Myles Caesar Hopkinson

Gender: Male

Born: 27/05/1879

Town: Avening

County: Gloucestershire

Country: England

Marriage

Maiden Name: Not applicable

No marriage information is available for this burial record.

Information at Death

Date of Death: 07/06/1890

Cause of death: Perityphilitis asthenia (inflammation of the appendix)

Address line 1: St Ronans'

Address line 3: Selden Terrace

Town: Worthing

County: Sussex

Country: England

Obituary

No obituary has been entered.

Personal Effects

Money left to others: No value recorded

Current value of effects: Not calculated

Census Information

1881

Living at Avening, Gloucestershire – Charles C Hopkinson (head) age 41, Ada Hopkinson (Wife) age 38, Gwendoline M (Daughter) age 6, Ethel A Hopkinson (Daughter) age 5, Ismay Hopkinson (Daughter) age 3, Charles M.C. (Son) age 1, plus 7 servants

Miscellaneous Information

Gloucestershire Journal 2nd July 1898

The announcement of the failure of the firm of Messrs. Charles Hopkinson and Sons, bankers, of No. 3, Regent Street, London, was received with feelings of great regret by the many friends of the Hopkinson family residing in this neighbourhood. The Hopkinsons have long been connected with the county of Gloucester. Some years ago the late Mr. Edmund Hopkinson was the owner of the beautiful Edgeworth Manor Estate, near Cirenster, which was subsequently sold by Messrs. Bruton, Knowles and Co. to the late Mr. H.G.W. Sperling, and at his death passed into the hands of Mr James. It may be interesting to recall to mind that at the death of Mr. Edmund Hopkinson the fine collection of old silver, which was one of the attractions of Edgeworth Manor, was sold by Messrs. Christie. Mr Charles Hopkinson, father of the present partners in the bank, was the owner of the Wotton estate, Gloucester, and resided at Wotton Court some time before it was occupied by the late Mr Ephraim Lloyd.

Mr Charles Hopkinson took up his residence for a short time at Wotton Court on the death of his aunt, Miss Hopkinson, who, it may be remembered, during her lifetime identified herself prominently with the Tory cause in Gloucester. When the movement was started for the erection of a church at Wotton, to supply a long felt want, and the late Mr. J.D.T. Niblett offered as a site the corner piece of land now occupied by Mr Alfred Slater’s residence, the late Mr C. Hopkinson offered a subscription of £200 towards the project. Subscriptions and promises for over £2000 were obtained, but the movement was abandoned in consequence of inability to raise a fund sufficient for the endowment of the church. The local agents of the firm Messrs. Bruton, Knowles and Co., had authority from the late Mr. Hopkinson’s sons to ive a site on their estate for the erection of a church if the funds were forthcoming for its erection.

 

Gloucestershire Echo 20th November 1924

The late Mr. Hopkinson – The funeral of the late Mr Charles Caesar Hopkinson, of Belgrave Lodge, took place on Thursday at noon at the Church of St. James, whre the first portion of the service was read by the vicar (Rev. G.W. Boothroyd) in the prominence of many friends, before the body was finally conveyed for burial in the family grave at Cheltenham Cemetery. the mourners included Mrs Hopkinson (widow), Capt. Hopkison, Miss Hopkinson, Miss Ethel Hopkinson, Col. Scobell, Mrs Scobell, Mrs Smith Wright, Miss Soames, Mrs Curtis, Mrs Denis Browne, Mr Turner, and Mr. Bardy Hopkinson. There were many floral tributes of great beauty and affectionately inscribed from members of the family and from deceased’s friends in social and hunting circles. Messers. Cavendish House Co., Ltd., had charge of the arrangements.

Cheltenham Chronicle 23 March 1929

Mrs. Hopkinson, Funeral at St. James’s Church – By the death of Mrs Ida Cecilla Brooke Hopkinson, widow of the late Mr Charles C. Hopkison, who passed away at her residence, Belgrave Lodge, Montpelier Terrace, on Thursday, a large circle of relatives and friends suffer bereavement, and St. James’s Church loses a generous supporter of all its activities. The deceased lady was the daughter of the late Mr Fennel, and she became Mr Hopkinson’s second wife in the year 1901. Her husband, who died in 1924, formerly resided at Avening Court and at Wotton Court, Gloucester.

The funeral of Mrs Hopkinson took place on Saturday, the first portion of the burial service being conducted at St. James’s Church by the vicar (Rev. G.W. Boothroyd). The mourners attending were Miss H. Roach, Admiral Curtis and Miss Curtis (cousin), Mr H.C. Swaine (cousin), Miss G Hopkinson and Miss E Hopkinson (step-daughters), Lieut. Colonel Scobell and Mrs Scobell (step-daughter), Mrs. Denis-Browne and Miss Denis-Browne, the Rev. H. Morton Nisbet and Mrs Nisbet, Colonel Hopkinson and the Hon. Mrs Hopkinson (niece), Mrs ad Miss Scobell, Brigadier-General Ramsay, Mrs. Pownell-Williams, the Misses Croker, Mrs. Greenslade and Miss Joyce Greenslade, Colonel and Mrs Sminey, Mrs Chas Brown, Miss Porter, Miss Hudson, Miss Corbyn, the Misses Harrison, Mrs Mainwaring, Mr. F.B. de Sausmarez, Mrs Burnycat, Mrs Boothroyd, the Rev. Canon Willis, Mr Ward Whittard, and the maids at Belgrave Lodge (Misses Pridith and Tuck). Illness prevented the attendance of Mrs Smith-Wright and Mrs Soames (step-daughters), Capt. Hopkinson (stepson), Mr Christopher Turner, Mr W. Edwards, Mrs. and Miss Phillips.

After the service, which, in accordance with the deceased lady’s wishes, was of a plain and simple character, the body was conveyed to the Cemetery, the interment taking place in the family vault.

Beautiful floral tributes were sent by Brigadier-General Ramsay (sheaf of daffodils), Mrs Smith Wright and Mrs L.H. Soames (hyacinth and carnation wreath), Miss G Hopkinson and Miss E Hopkinson (cross of tulips and lilies), Mrs and Miss Phillips (lilies and daffodils), Mrs Scobell, Captain and Mrs Hopkinson, of Folkestone (violets and roses), Mrs Denis-Browne and Rosalind, Mrs Pownell-Williams, Mr and Mrs Robert Swaine, Mr and Mrs H.W. Corry, Admiral and Miss Curtis, Mrs Bird, Mrs Greenslade and family, Mrs H Medley, Miss Maitland Reid, Mrs Curtis (Southhampton), Lieut-Colonel and Mrs Scobell (sheaf of tulips), Dorothy and Alice, Mrs Medley and Kitty, Tod and May, Nora, Joe, Frank, and Nurse Davies. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Cavendish House Company.